On a lazy Sunday afternoon, as I lay staring at my computer screen trying to work out what to write for some time and started thinking about the on-screen couples, their chemistry and relationships, and realized that I can’t leave mentioning one of the best TV romances: Rachel-Ross and Monica-Chandler from Friends.
Both couples were integral to Friends’ success, and both couples balanced each other. Viewers would have had a much more difficult time having their hearts broken by the constant on-off phase between Ross and Rachel, if they didn’t have a more consistent couple to provide some relationship stability in the show. In a way, Monica and Chandler were kind of what we all hoped Ross and Rachel could become if they worked through their issues.
Chandler and Monica were everything that Ross and Rachel weren’t, and vice versa. As such, although it is nearly impossible to pick a favorite Friends couple because both duos were so different, but I found Chandler and Monica stand out of the league.
The best couple – Chandler and Monica! Why?
When they were on-screen, somehow it made us believe that they were going to last forever. They will work through all the problems coming their way, together and will never leave each other. Because they were not only a couple, but they were also best friends. It’s so endearing to see how both of them have got used to each other’s quirks!
Few instances where their relationship really stood out :
- When they found that they can’t have kids of their own, Monica decides she wants to have a kid of Chandler’s only and so refused to opt for surrogacy or sperm donor.
- When Monica and Chandler always get back in spite of having fights.
- The way one of them adjusts to accommodate the other.
- The way both were willing to not just let their personal life affect their professional life but also being aware, when personal life is more important than professional (Chandler resigning his job).
What Chandler and Monica’s long-distance relationship teaches us?
When Monica got extremely insecure after her initial ‘can’t-keep-my-hands-off-him’ phase ended with Chandler, I couldn’t help but silently nod in agreement.
When you are in a long term relationship, you can’t help but feel like the excitement of the starting days has come to an end after a few months. What follows is an unsuccessful attempt to revive the lost spark. But to be honest, it’s never quite the same. You eventually become more comfortable being yourself around them.
- It doesn’t matter if you are not with each other all the time like you used to be earlier.
- It doesn’t matter if there are not enough new things to learn about each other.
- It doesn’t matter if there are no new stories you can tell them about your childhood.
- It doesn’t matter as long as you can be you. You do not have to hide behind a curtain wondering if they are ready to see what you actually are. Because even if you don’t realise it now, they already know.
Sure you will miss the older times, the more passionate times, the crazier times, but nothing compares to being together sans all those things and still not complaining. Not complaining that it’s not as exciting anymore. Not complaining that your partner wants to discuss about investment with you, or about where they dream to work at, or how they haven’t been able to read enough in the last few days, because it’s perfectly fine.
There are numerous other instances and if I find a relationship at least minutely as close as theirs I would consider myself the luckiest on earth.
- Monica and Chandler were close friends since a long time. They know and understand each other very well. Both were always ready to help and encourage each other when required.
- It is sad that Ross’s second marriage doesn’t end well for him. But it was surely a blessing for Monica and Chandler for they started seeing each other.
- Things were not easy going for them initially. Chandler’s fear of commitment and Monica’s obsession for kids led few spats between them but they always fixed it themselves.
- They both made adjustments for each other. Chandler gets ready to spent his entire saving on their marriage to make Monica happy.
- Monica sacrifices her cheap wedding dress to have Chandler’s favourite band play at the wedding.
- Monica was ready to leave her job and move in Tulsa with Chandler and Chandler completely understands that Monica’s new job is good for her, so she should stay back.
- However my favourite Monica and Chandler’s moment will be the one where Chandler convinces Erika to consider them for adoption. The way he explains his helplessness of not been able to have a child was so wonderful! It’s heart-touching to see how a guy who was once afraid of commitments became a compassionate and caring partner.
My wife’s an incredible woman. She’s loving and devoted and caring. And don’t tell her I said this, but the woman’s always right… I love my wife more than anything in this world. It kills me that I can’t give her a baby… I really want a kid. And when that day finally comes, I’ll learn how to be a good dad. But my wife… she’s already there. She’s a mother… without a baby… Please?
Ross and Rachel were perfect for each other yet they could never make it work. They shared their feelings with others but not with each other. They knew that they were made for each other but wouldn’t commit to it. They both always needed someone to tell them what to do in their relationship.
In case of Monica and Chandler, it was different: they were willing to do anything to make their relationship work. They knew how much they needed each other and they don’t want to lose it. In one episode, Phoebe found a guy who she thinks is the soulmate of Monica. They had same interests and opinions about everything. Seeing this, Chandler got insecure and told Monica about it. Then Monica assures Chandler that even she doesn’t believe in soulmates. Monica and Chandler worked hard in their relationship and that’s how they made it successful!
That’s why I believe their love story is more compelling and loving than Ross and Rachel in Friends.
So, who’s your favorite couple?
Images: NBC, Giphy